Thursday, August 9, 2012

#PB10for10

This post is for #PB10for10 which was started by @mandyrobek and @CathyMere three years ago to share picture book resources.  I love the idea of sharing picture book resources with others.  Last year, I took away so many great ideas and books that I think I made my local book stores very happy with how much  I purchased.   Without further ado, here is my list:

1) Pete the Cat series by Eric Litwin & James Dean
    I started out last school year with Pete the Cat.  I ended last year with Pete the Cat.  Kids love these books since they can relate to Pete.  I love the message of the stories which is, just be you.  I also like to use these books to talk about how to solve problems such as going to a new place and how we can handle that. The author sings the book and you can find that on the website along with You Tube.  My class always sang the songs last year, and I never actually read the book, as much as sang it with them.

2) Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni
    Yes, this is a repeat from last year's list, I know.  I love this book so much that I had to include it again.  The story is about how little blue and little yellow are friends. They then get "mixed up" and it goes from there.  I like using this book when we study primary and secondary colors.  Plus, it's Leo Lionni!  You can't go wrong with him.

3) A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
     David Shannon is the author of the David series of books such as No David!  In this book, the main character does what everyone else does since she wants to "fit in" until one day she gets a bad case of the stripes.  My class loved this book, and would beg me to read it again and again.  It led to great discussions about being one's own self, and not conforming.

4) Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley
     This is a wonderful book about how kids can take charge and make a big green monster "go away".  I like it because as one turns the pages, more parts are added to the monster, then the parts are taken away.  This is good to talk about addition, subtraction, drawing/how to draw something, and about fears we have.

5) The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
     Natasha Wing has a whole series of "The Night Before" books.  Since I teach K, I picked this book up and the kids last year loved it.  It helped them with what to expect at school and we returned to it at the end of K to discuss our year.

6) The Mission of Addition by Brian P. Cleary and Brian Gable
     Brian P. Cleary and Brian Gable have a whole series of books that deal with Math such as The Mission of Addition, The Action of Subtraction, etc. They use wonderful illustrations and rhyming text to explain what addition, subtraction, length, width, etc. are in terms that children can understand and have fun with.

7) Leola and the Honeybears by Melodye Benson Rosales
    I love different versions of stories and this is the Goldilocks story told from the point of African Americans with Leola being little girl who doesn't mind her manners and barges into the Honeybears house.  My kids loved this book and I found them acting this version out in our Dramatic Play Center.  Leola was a character that kids could identify with, and the bears end up being very nice to Leola which is refreshing.

8) The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
    Yup, another repeat from last year, but what can I say?  It's Eric Carle!  This book is just wonderful for teaching about caterpillars, butterflies, life cycles and change, addition, patterns, etc. Eric Carle books tend to lend themselves to a lot of different areas and as a teacher, I love him for it.  I cannot recommend this book enough.

9) Mouse Count by Ellen Stohl Walsh
    Ellen Stohl Walsh has great books for kids.  Mouse Count, Mouse Paint, Mouse Mess, etc.  are great books for Math, Science, Literacy, etc.  I love Mouse Count because one can incorporate Math and counting into lessons.  You can also talk about volume, empty, full, length, etc.  Also, the kids love figuring out how the mice are going to escape and outwit the snake.

10) Hey Little Ant by Phillip M. Hoose
      Yes, my last one is another repeat from last year's list, again.  But, this is such a great book!  The story is about whether or not the boy in the story will squish an ant just trying to get food for his family. Is the ant a crook or is he just doing what he needs to to help feed his family?  The ant and boy discuss this and the ultimate ending is left up to the reader.  This book always leads to heated debates over right and wrong in my classroom.
 


5 comments:

  1. Patty,
    I am not familiar with the math - mission addition - going to check those out! I also want to check out Leola and the Honeybears!
    Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great classics on your list -- Leo Lioni, Eric Carle, Ed Emberley, David Shannon...and of course, we can't forget Pete the Cat!!

    Super list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete the Cat seems popular. I've already added him to my shopping list.
    I like your list. Thanks.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great list. Pete the Cat is showing up everywhere! He is a favorite among teachers and students. I'll have to check out the book about Leola! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining us. Ellen Stoll Walsh is a favorite of mine too.

    ReplyDelete